[IPython-User] ipython_config.py won't die

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jul 13 23:58:07 CDT 2010

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running from the latest on Github, so whatever:
>
> http://github.com/ipython/ipython.git
>
> gets me.

Yes, that's it...

> Even if I *delete* my .ipython directory entirely, the new directory
> is populated with a ipy_user_config,py when I start ipython.

Mmh, that's super, super odd.  If I move mine out of the way,  I get:

maqroll[~]> ls ~/.ipython
/bin/ls: cannot access /home/fperez/.ipython: No such file or directory
maqroll[~]> ip
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:09:56)

IPython 0.11.alpha1.git -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]:
Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)?
maqroll[~]> ls ~/.ipython
db/  extensions/  history

So ~/.ipython does get re-created, but it should NOT be populated with
ipy_user_conf.py anymore.  Is it possible that you have a tangled-up
installation of ipytyhon with pieces of the old code?  I just don't
understand how that code can be active in your system...