[IPython-User] I've crashed iPython .10 on Windows 7

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Jul 16 02:29:53 CDT 2010

Hi Tony,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Tony Cappellini <cappy2112@gmail.com> wrote:
> typing
>
> help()
>
> followed by
>
> modules
>
> on my Windows 7 laptop makes the iPython window close (disappear).
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/
> I couldn't find anything at this link regarding bug reports, or even how to
> find this mail list.

help/modules crashes *python* itself, not IPython.  It's an
abomination of a misfeature that pydoc has had for years (to be fair,
I've never bothered to report it).  Try it in a normal python prompt
and you'll get the same crash.

The reason is that help/modules will try to import *everything* it
finds in your pythonpath.  Eventually, the python interpreter explodes
from the indigestion and you get a pretty segfault.

That feature should either be removed or redone, because:

1. it takes forever to try to import every conceivable python package

2. eventually it will almost always crash, since at some point two gui
toolkits will collide, or two other things that aren't meant to live
together will get into a fight inside the interpreter and rip it from
the inside out.

So at best it's so slow that it's just annoying, and in most cases
it's actually deadly to use.

This is not our bug.