[IPython-User] [Min/Brian help] Re: Empty tb field in taskresult.failure

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Jul 16 13:50:06 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Chris Filo Gorgolewski
<chris.gorgolewski@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Play with that and let us know if this is enough for your needs.
> I might not getting this right but I've tried all of the above methods
> with my original example (because it's a bit more elaborate, uses
> external file and having a traceback makes more sense there) and... I
> got the same results as you. No traceback. Non of the above functions
> give me any useful information about where in the code the exception
> was raised. This is what I'm looking for.
>
> Just to make myself clear - using my gist example - I want a traceback
> listing the hierarchy if called function and pointing to the line 15
> of the ipython_bug_class.py. This is really crucial fro debugging
> parallel execution.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Yes, I see... I'm looking through the code that handles failures, but
in usual Twisted manner, it's a little maze :)

At this point I could use a bit of help from Min/Brian: do you know
where exactly the failure object is *constructed* when we execute a
StringTask?  That's the only place where the stack is guaranteed to be
intact enough for us to reconstruct it and store that information.

I have to head out for a meeting just now, but with a tiny pointer on
where in the Twisted maze that Failure is being instantiated, I should
be able to help with this bug.

Thanks for your patience Chris, this is indeed important as it's
otherwise nearly impossible to debug string tasks well.