[IPython-User] [IPython-user] furls only have localhost as ipcontroller location

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Jul 27 12:13:31 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM, kcsmith <kcsmith@raytheon.com> wrote:

> I got it to work by NOT using ipcluster

Yes, you can definitely use ipcontroller and ipengine themselves.

> For those who care, here's the script I submit via qsub to the Sun Gird
> Engine on an 80 core, 10 compute node Linux Rocks cluster
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -cwd
> #$ -pe Common 40
> #$ -j y
> #$ -S /bin/bash
> echo "Starting..."
> echo $HOSTNAME
> echo $NSLOTS
> # Note:  Some of the following may not be needed
> export TMP=/tmp
> export TMPDIR=/tmp
> export MPI_DIR=/opt/openmpi/
> PATH=$PATH:/opt/openmpi/bin:/share/apps/bin:/share/apps/lib
> export PATH
> # Note: Sun Grid Engine will pick a compute node to run this on (i.e. NOT
> the head node under Rocks)
> ipcontroller -r --client-location=$HOSTNAME --engine-location=$HOSTNAME
> --client-port=10100 --engine-port=10101 -l=ipcontroller.log &
> sleep 3
> echo "starting ipengines..."
> mpiexec -n $NSLOTS ipengine --mpi=mpi4py
> wait
>
> I was mislead by the ipcluster documentation which appears to imply that
> ipcluster mpiexec -n $NSLOTS --mpi=mpi4py
> would work when ipengines and client run on different servers.

OK, this is probably a bug.  But please try the native SGE support that we
have now.

If you see the following error message:

> Failure: twisted.internet.error.ConnectionRefusedError: Connection was
> refused by other side: 111: Connection refused.
>
> Check your furl files

Yes.

> kcsmith wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to run ipcluster under the sun grid engine on a 10 node
> cluster
> > and I encountered the following error.
> >
> > Only those ipengines which reside on the same node as ipcontroller
> > connect.   The rest get CONNECTION REFUSED[111] errors.
> >
> > I traced this problem down to the furl files that ipcontroller creates.
> > They only have the local host ip address listed.
> > pb://
> d2vqoq6l7tmjtdjl4gi2ctwlwbxzzdc2@127.0.0.1:56104/ei4yhcb5qqa3pyyoi32j3guqfkzqtd5q
> >
> > If I manually add the actual ipcontroller node's ip address to the furl
> > then everything works, ipengines connect and the client connects.
> >
> > i.e.
> >
> > pb://
> d2vqoq6l7tmjtdjl4gi2ctwlwbxzzdc2@10.0.255.234:56104/ei4yhcb5qqa3pyyoi32j3guqfkzqtd5q
> >
> > When ipcontroller is started on 10.0.255.234
> >
> > Is there some system setting or environment variable which can be set to
> > force foolscap to include the ipcontroller node ip address?  Or is there
> > something else wrong??
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Keith
> >

> --