[IPython-User] [IPython-user] furls only have localhost as ipcontroller location

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Jul 27 12:37:58 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM, kcsmith <kcsmith@raytheon.com> wrote:

> I got it to work by NOT using ipcluster
>
> For those who care, here's the script I submit via qsub to the Sun Gird
> Engine on an 80 core, 10 compute node Linux Rocks cluster
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -cwd
> #$ -pe Common 40
> #$ -j y
> #$ -S /bin/bash
> echo "Starting..."
> echo $HOSTNAME
> echo $NSLOTS
> # Note:  Some of the following may not be needed
> export TMP=/tmp
> export TMPDIR=/tmp
> export MPI_DIR=/opt/openmpi/
> PATH=$PATH:/opt/openmpi/bin:/share/apps/bin:/share/apps/lib
> export PATH
> # Note: Sun Grid Engine will pick a compute node to run this on (i.e. NOT
> the head node under Rocks)
> ipcontroller -r --client-location=$HOSTNAME --engine-location=$HOSTNAME
> --client-port=10100 --engine-port=10101 -l=ipcontroller.log &
> sleep 3
> echo "starting ipengines..."
> mpiexec -n $NSLOTS ipengine --mpi=mpi4py
> wait
>
> I was mislead by the ipcluster documentation which appears to imply that
> ipcluster mpiexec -n $NSLOTS --mpi=mpi4py
> would work when ipengines and client run on different servers.

It should work.  I just tried this on my local system and the furl files are
setup correctly:

pb://3whjynbf2wtbwwvkmoalfjfecwrrcr4f@127.0.0.1:52215,
192.168.2.204:52215/u3he7ljdixtwt4yhrwrq7kjv7oe6nw2r

Notice that both local host (127.0.0.1) and my public IP address
(192.168.2.204) are listed.  Do your furl files really only have localhost?

For this to work, you will need to have a shared home directory on the
compute nodes that will have the furl files in $HOME/.ipython/security.

> If you see the following error message:
>
> Failure: twisted.internet.error.ConnectionRefusedError: Connection was
> refused by other side: 111: Connection refused.
>
> Check your furl files
>

> kcsmith wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to run ipcluster under the sun grid engine on a 10 node
> cluster
> > and I encountered the following error.
> >
> > Only those ipengines which reside on the same node as ipcontroller
> > connect.   The rest get CONNECTION REFUSED[111] errors.
> >
> > I traced this problem down to the furl files that ipcontroller creates.
> > They only have the local host ip address listed.
> > pb://
> d2vqoq6l7tmjtdjl4gi2ctwlwbxzzdc2@127.0.0.1:56104/ei4yhcb5qqa3pyyoi32j3guqfkzqtd5q
> >
> > If I manually add the actual ipcontroller node's ip address to the furl
> > then everything works, ipengines connect and the client connects.
> >
> > i.e.
> >
> > pb://
> d2vqoq6l7tmjtdjl4gi2ctwlwbxzzdc2@10.0.255.234:56104/ei4yhcb5qqa3pyyoi32j3guqfkzqtd5q
> >
> > When ipcontroller is started on 10.0.255.234
> >
> > Is there some system setting or environment variable which can be set to
> > force foolscap to include the ipcontroller node ip address?  Or is there
> > something else wrong??
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Keith
> >

> --