[IPython-User] ipython terminal while application is running

Alan alanwilter@gmail....
Tue Jun 8 08:19:16 CDT 2010

Hi there,

I have this application that is called usually via 'python -i app.py'. The
interactive mode is very important. The programme executes long simulations
and via the interactive mode one can check if the simulation is doing well
and eventually put in background. The programme use threads to spawn several
processes (it's a sort of parallel application).

The first problem I have is if trying:

ipython app.py

All fine, but then if I want to pass options to my application rather than
to ipython all options are kidnapped by ipython, so:

ipython app.py --debug

doesn't work as option '--debug' never reaches app.py.

Second. If using something like IPShellEmbed, calling it and depending where
I place it in my code either I have to wait  my simulation to finish to the
get the ipython terminal or if placed too earlier I get the terminal but my
simulation will never start until I leave the terminal.

Is there a way of encapsulating my whole code with IPShellEmbed from within
the code in a pretty much way that 'ipython app.py' is doing?

Thanks.

Alan

--
Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.