[IPython-User] [IPython-user] matplotlib under ipython

Neil Best nbest@ci.uchicago....
Fri Jun 18 10:03:43 CDT 2010

I am playing with matplotlib under ipython per
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/shell.html  When I leave the backend
at the default 'AGG' nothing appears despite what that page implies.  I just
see this in my shell:

$ ipython-2.6 -pylab   # installed from Macports

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Jun 17 2010, 23:18:57)

. . .

  Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
  For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.

In [1]: x = randn(10000)

In [2]: hist(x, 100)
Out[2]:
(array([  4,   3,   1,   0,   0,   1,   3,   3,   6,  12,   9,  10,  11,

. . .

In [3]: figure()
Out[3]: <matplotlib.figure.Figure object at 0x2d145f0>

In [4]: plot()
Out[4]: []

In [5]: savefig('test.png')  #produces a file with axes but no chart

If I start ipython without the pylab profile (sh instead), import what I
need manually setting the backend to 'macosx', then a window does appear.
Can anyone tell me what is going on here and how it is supposed to work /
what makes the most sense for interactive work?  Along those lines is there
a convenient way to get pylab and sh profile behaviors at the same time?
Thanks.