[IPython-User] How to build ipython documentation

Roberto Bonvallet rbonvall@csrg.inf.utfsm...
Sat Jun 26 01:08:00 CDT 2010

Hi all,
I must be missing something obvious, but I cannot build the documentation.
I tried with Sphinx v0.6.6 and a fresh clone from the Github repository.

When I tried to "make html" on my Ubuntu box at home, I got an NameError
saying that __IPYTHON__ was not defined. I tried running do_sphinx.py from
a IPython session, but it didn't work either.

Now I just tried on a Fedora box, and I got the following error::

    $ make html
    mkdir -p build/html build/doctrees
    sphinx-build -b html -d build/doctrees   source build/html
    [...]
    reading sources... [  6%]
api/generated/IPython.Extensions.PhysicalQInteractive
    Exception occurred:
      File "/home/rbonvall/codigo/ipython/docs/sphinxext/inheritance_diagram.py",
line 107, in _import_class_or_module
        "Could not import class or module '%s' specified for
inheritance diagram" % name)
    ValueError: Could not import class or module
'IPython.Extensions.PhysicalQInteractive' specified for inheritance
diagram
    The full traceback has been saved in /tmp/sphinx-err-DfUqr0.log,
if you want to report the issue to the developers.
    Please also report this if it was a user error, so that a better
error message can be provided next time.
    Either send bugs to the mailing list at
<http://groups.google.com/group/sphinx-dev/>,
    or report them in the tracker at
<http://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx/issues/>. Thanks!
    make: *** [html] Error 1

Is there a documented procedure for building the documentation?
Should it just work by running "make html"?

Roberto Bonvallet