[IPython-user] %whos type usage

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Mar 1 14:19:46 CST 2010

Internally we have this ability (we use this in pylab mode), but that capability
is not exposed to users.  To really handle this well, we would need to have
an import hook that allowed imported modules to be excluded from %whos.
Then we could provide magics for enabling/disabling this import hook.

We are currently focused on other things, but we would be glad to accept
patches that implement this.

Cheers,

Brian

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@vcn.com> wrote:
> I find the magic command "%whos" to be very helpful.  However, although
> it is possible to include objects of only certain types, it does not
> seem possible to /exclude/ objects of a certain type.  For example, if I
> import a large number of functions from a module into my object space,
> it would be helpful to be able to exclude objects of type "function"
> when using %whos so that I can see my local variables.  Is there a way
> to this that I am not aware of?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.