[IPython-user] A plugin to use IPython like an IDE with an editor -- feedback requested

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Sat Mar 20 21:56:54 CDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Kudeki, Erhan <erhan@illinois.edu> wrote:

> What happened to this project started by Minjae Kim --- a plugin that
> integrates
> ipython with Editra editor?  I too miss MATLAB's nice integration of
> interactive
>
> shell+editor+graphical debugger. Also, the cell feature of the MATLAB
>
> editor is very nice & an Editra plugin implementing some of these
>
> would be of great utility for a lot of us having hard time letting MATLAB
> go.

There was a lengthy discussion in the numpy list on this matter :
http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg18394.html

I think mainly because of the general purpose nature of the Python plus
open-source developments there are so many alternatives for
editor/development environment choice. A popular stackoverflow thread lists
almost all of them at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/81584/what-ide-to-use-for-python

I have started with IPython + SciTe and later moved on GVIM, once in a while
I use Eclipse+PyDev. In terms of speed of development IPython+GVIM pair is
my favorite and GVIM is a very powerful text editor -even if it doesn't
provide the cell feature :)

Spyder (http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/) might be the closest it gets
for the MATLAB-wise development environments. It's QT4 based and actively
being developed.

Let us know about your findings.

--
Gökhan