[IPython-user] Why is ipdb not diplaying STOUT properly?

Bryan Wheelock bryan.wheelock@gmail....
Wed Mar 24 10:05:09 CDT 2010

I can't figure out why ipdb is not displaying stout properly.
I'm trying to debug why a test is failing and so I attempt to use ipdb
debugger.

For some reason my Input seems to be accepted, but the STOUT is not
displayed until I (c)ontinue.

Is this something broken in ipdb?
It makes it very difficult to debug a program.

Below is an example ipdb session, notice how I attempt to display the values
of the attributes with:
user.is_authenticated()
user_profile.reputation
user.is_superuser

The results are not displayed until 'begin captured stdout '

In [13]: !python manage.py test
Creating test database...
< SNIP remove loading tables >
nosetests
...E..> /Users/Bryan/work/APP/forum/auth.py(93)can_retag_questions()
     92     import ipdb; ipdb.set_trace()
---> 93     return user.is_authenticated() and (
     94         RETAG_OTHER_QUESTIONS <= user_profile.reputation <
EDIT_OTHER_POSTS or

user.is_authenticated()
user_profile.reputation
user.is_superuser
F> /Users/Bryan/work/APP/forum/auth.py(93)can_retag_questions()
     92     import ipdb; ipdb.set_trace()
---> 93     return user.is_authenticated() and (
     94         RETAG_OTHER_QUESTIONS <= user_profile.reputation <
EDIT_OTHER_POSTS or

.....EE......
<SNIP more failed tests>
FAIL: test_can_retag_questions
(APP.forum.tests.test_views.AuthorizationFunctionsTestCase)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Bryan/work/APP/../APP/forum/tests/test_views.py", line 71, in
test_can_retag_questions
    self.assertTrue(auth.can_retag_questions(user))
AssertionError:
-------------------- >> begin captured stdout << ---------------------
ipdb> True
ipdb> 4001
ipdb> False
ipdb>
--------------------- >> end captured stdout << ----------------------

Ran 20 tests in 78.032s

FAILED (errors=3, failures=1)
Destroying test database...

In [14]:

Here is the actual test I'm trying to run:
    def can_retag_questions(user):
        """Determines if a User can retag Questions."""
        user_profile = user.get_profile()
        import ipdb; ipdb.set_trace()
        return user.is_authenticated() and (
            RETAG_OTHER_QUESTIONS <= user_profile.reputation <
EDIT_OTHER_POSTS or
            user.is_superuser)

I've also tried to use pdb, but that doesn't display anything. I see my test
progress ....<stops>  , and then nothing and not responsive to keyboard
input.

Is this a problem with readline?
--
The best marketing related articles are at
http://www.InstantDirectMarketing.com