[IPython-User] Why is iPython using X11?

David Warde-Farley wardefar@iro.umontreal...
Wed Nov 10 06:55:43 CST 2010

On 2010-11-10, at 7:36 AM, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

>  have installed iPython 0.10.1 on my MacBook with Mac OS X Snow Leopard
> (10.6.4) and when I start it it starts up X11. I would like to know what
> is causing this and how I can prevent this because I don't want to use
> X11 with it. It is not matplotlib I think because importing matplotlib
> in a normal Python session doesn't do this, and I have configured it to
> use Aquaterm for displaying plots. The previous version I had installed
> (I guess 0.9 something) didn't do this.

What version of Python are you using? Is it a version from Fink? Fink Python does weird things sometimes.. Are you invoking with -pylab? Importing matplotlib would not necessarily trigger the same behaviour.

Can you print the result of matplotlib.get_backend()? What do you mean AquaTerm is displaying plots?

David