[IPython-User] Why is iPython using X11?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Nov 17 01:51:42 CST 2010

Hi Piet,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Piet van Oostrum <piet@vanoostrum.org> wrote:
> I have installed iPython 0.10.1 on my MacBook with Mac OS X Snow Leopard
> (10.6.4) and when I start it it starts up X11. I would like to know what
> is causing this and how I can prevent this because I don't want to use
> X11 with it. It is not matplotlib I think because importing matplotlib
> in a normal Python session doesn't do this, and I have configured it to
> use Aquaterm for displaying plots. The previous version I had installed
> (I guess 0.9 something) didn't do this.

sorry about this, it's actually a bug in 0.10.1.  We have it fixed
*one form of it* in the upcoming 0.10.2:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/commit/8161523536289eaed01ca42707f6785f59343cd7

0.10.2 hasn't been released yet, but you can get a tarball for it from
github easily:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tarball/0.10.2

But I'm worried now that my fix only covered the case where things
would crash if gtk couldn't be opened.  However, what you are seeing
is different, and I think that fix won't help in your case.

If you could install that 0.10.2 (from the tarball or from a git repo,
if you're following the source) and let us know what happens, I'd be
very grateful.

That spurious starting of X11 should definitely *not* be happening, so
I'd like to have it fixed before putting 0.10.2 out (which is going to
consist mostly of just gtk-related bugfixes, so all the more reason to
do this right).

Regards,