[IPython-User] Why is iPython using X11?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Nov 18 01:00:27 CST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Piet van Oostrum <piet@vanoostrum.org> wrote:
> There is another instance of the call to check_gtk which isn't changed in the patch, and it should IMHO. It is in line 1236 in Shell.py. It should also be
>            if th_mode == 'gthread':
>                th_mode = check_gtk(th_mode)
>
> (I would say the check for th_mode == 'gthread' could better be done in check_gtk.)
>
> With this change I get rid of the X11 startup, unless I set the backend to something GTK-related of course.

OK, many thanks for the report, that's very useful.  Based on this I
can add a cleaner fix that will hopefully put an end to the spurious
X11 requirement (which is not only an annoyance in the Mac case, but
can be a showstopper if you're trying to just open an ipython instance
in a no-X environment like screen or a linux text console).

Regards,