[IPython-User] ctrl-c on windows

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sat Oct 9 09:33:32 CDT 2010

Robin,

On IPython 0.10 the combination of pylab and ctrl-C is like tossing a
stick of dynamite into a fire and expecting the fire to be put out in
a nice gentle way.  I know it sort of works some of the time, but I
also know it doesn't really work.  The reason is that the GUI support
in 0.10 is not thread safe in any way, share or form.  When you add to
this that we do some subtle hacks to get ctrl-C to propagate across
threads, means that it is a disaster waiting to happen.  But, the good
news is that all of this has been fixed in 0.11.  Sorry I don't have
better news for you with 0.10 though.

Cheers,

Brian

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find myself having to use Windows for a time which I'm not
> particularly familiar with...
>
> I am using IPython 0.10 on Python.org Python 2.6.5 (64bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
>
> I start IPython with the pylab menu item.
>
> It seems to work, but I find that ctrl-c closes the interpreter. I'm
> finding this really annoying as I keep accidentally closing the
> interpreter and having to recreate my working state.
>
> It doesn't seem to do it with a freshly opened pylab (gives
> KeyboardInterrupt), but as soon as I've done any work or had it open
> for a lenght of time, it seems ctrl-c closes (whether there is
> something running, a partial line entered at the prompt which I want
> to cancel, or just an empty prompt).
>
> Does anyone have any idea what this could be or how to stop it happenning?
>
> Cheers
>
> Robin

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics