[IPython-User] How to start IPython in Windows

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Oct 10 01:36:52 CDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Tony Cappellini <cappy2112@gmail.com> wrote:

> The installer for iPython on Windows (even the 32-bit versions) has never
> created
> an entry in the Start menu. I've tried using iPython on & off several times
> over the last few years and this has always been the case.

Mmh, this is a bummer.  I just tested it and you're right, what
happens is that the post-install script (responsible for shortcuts and
such) crashes.

It *used* to work, years ago when I first wrote that code it did make
a Start menu entry along with entries for docs.  But obviously
something has bit-rotted in the meantime...

I'll try to debug the install script, but debugging those things is a
major pain.  If I can figure it out in a limited amount of time I'll
post the 0.10.1 release with the fixes.  Otherwise we'll ship 0.10.1
with a broken post-install script (apparently no worse than we've had
for a long while).  This will ensure we make the release window for
the next Enthought Python Distribution: many people get ipython that
way, and EPD has its own menu creation routines, so there's no problem
there.

And we'll keep looking for a fix for the installer, now that we know
for a fact it is broken.

Sorry not to have caught this before, I haven't run Windows in years
and only recently did I set up a windows environment again.

ps - this is now: http://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/issue/165