[IPython-User] Ipython 0.10.1: problem with matplotlib

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Oct 25 15:37:54 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Simon .... <sn24053@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> After updating to ipython 0.10.1 (from 0.10.0) I have problems with matplotlib.
>
> For example the following code (in "ipython -pylab"):
>
>> ax = subplot(111)
>> ax.plot( range(10), range(10) )
>
> An empty figure opens (axes and graph are not displayed). In 0.10.0
> the plot was displayed properly.
>
>> show()
>
> Now the graph appears but the ipython shell is blocked. If C-c is
> pressed the shell returns.
>
>> close('all')
>
> The window is still open.
>
> I'm using matplotlib 1.0 with GTKAgg as backend on Fedora 13.
>
> Any help is appreciated!

Yup, unfortunately it seems the 0.10.1 release slipped with a very
nasty GTK bug!

We're tracking it here:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/issue/185

In the meantime, the workaround is starting it with

ipython --pylab --qthread

or

ipython --pylab --q4thread

To use Wx or Qt instead.

I'm very sorry for the problem, and will try to find a fix (though if
anyone can provide one, we would be tremendously grateful, as I have
very little time for this in the next few weeks).