[IPython-User] make %ed default to '%ed -p'

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Sep 7 01:44:43 CDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Lara Michaels
<laramichaels1978@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I love ipython, but have the following question!
>
> Is there an easy configuration trick to get the editor to always open the same file I previously edited? Basically, I want 'ed' to mean 'ed -p'!

If you are using the 'old style' config file ~/.ipython/ipythonrc, add this:

execute __IPYTHON__.default_option('edit','-p')

if your config file is the 0.10 style ~/.ipython/ipy_user_conf.py, you
should have something like:

import IPython.ipapi
ip = IPython.ipapi.get()

then just add:

ip.IP.default_option('edit','-p')

%ed is just a shorthand for %edit, so the default option has to be
added to %edit itself, not to %ed.

I hope this helps.

> Many thanks for any help and my thanks for this great piece of code!! : )
> ~l

Thanks for the kind words.

Please note that some of the details of configuring ipython will
change in a few months with 0.11, so be advised that you'll need to
revisit this little trick.

We'll do our best to provide guidance on how to update your setup.

Regards,