[IPython-User] Emacs and Ipython 23.2

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Sep 7 01:58:45 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 6:30 AM, NaLaurethSulfate
<nalaurethsulfate@aim.com> wrote:
> I am fairly new to both Ipython and Emacs and am trying to get them
> to play nicely together. I have a very recent ipython.el and
> python-mode.el (both were downloaded yesterday). I have changed my .emacs
> file by appending the necessary lines for python mode
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode(really confusing)), and then
> appending (require 'ipython) as suggested in the ipython documentation
> (the pdf that came in the tarball right near the ipython.el file).
>
> A lot of things kind of seem to work, but I have no output to really tell
> from. An example of an ipython session is included bellow. There are no
> prompts. Errors and other ipython generated stuff such as help do come up.
> No printing works. From the text that I can see colors do seem to work. If
> I am working on a program and type C-c ! the interpreter starts up and
> gives the standard preamble that I see using ipython elsewhere. Upon doing
> C-c C-c the shell prints the line bellow starting ##working on region in
> file.... On subsequent C-c C-c's I get a message in the mini-buffer (File
> c:/Users/ALEXAN~1/AppData/Local/Temp/python-2888bOb.py queued for
> execution), but I never see any output from that.
>
> Also I am on windows7, and would love if this can work on windows as well,
> but if it turns out it is not working because of that I can just work from
> linux (if it is known working).

Well, I'm afraid that all I can say is 'works for me'... My emacs
config (on unbuntu 10.04, emacs v 23.1.50) just has this:

;; Basic call: this will get the system running in default mode.
(require 'ipython)

;; Configure the ipython call for pylab use
(setq py-python-command-args '("-pylab" "--colors" "LightBG"))

And it works fine, actually both with ipython 0.10.1 (from the branch)
and with 0.11 trunk.

But it may be an issue under windows, I honestly don't know.

Regards,