[IPython-User] Ipython for Angstrom

Ryan Krauss ryanlists@gmail....
Tue Sep 7 22:09:10 CDT 2010

Thanks.  Yea, I eventually got IPython to run on the BeagleBoard
without a problem.

But we hit a roadblock with deadtime in between serial transmissions.
My work at this point depends on being able to send 5-10 bytes of data
back and forth to a microcontroller that is doing real-time control
with update frequencies of 500-1000 Hz.   We are running a test where
we just echo data back and forth with the micro to test the loop time.
 We were hoping that the BeagleBoard would be an improvement over a
laptop mainly because there is less stuff going on and more control
over the hardware.  It hasn't worked out yet.  And we have struck out
with several approaches to reducing the deadtime.  The PC just seems
to sit there doing nothing.  The annoying thing is that windows can
run the code with 500 Hz update frequencies without a problem.  We
haven't found a linux approach that can do better than around 250 Hz.