[IPython-User] IPython included in Spyder v1.1.0

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Sep 8 02:46:54 CDT 2010

Hi Pierre,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Pierre Raybaut <pierre.raybaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> I completely forgot to give some feedback regarding this threading
> issues which were causing bugs when integrating IPython into Spyder.
>
> These problems occured only on Windows platforms: IPython's internal
> main loop was blocking the GUI event loop, hence freezing any opened
> window/dialog box, when calling a file open/save dialog. Example: when
> clicking on the 'Save as' button of a Matplotlib's figure, the figure
> was frozen until the user hit the <Enter> key in the IPython
> console... so, quite an ugly bug.
>
> In the meantime, I found a workaround, maybe as ugly as the bug itself
> but it works like a charm.

Well, I'm glad to hear you got it working and that you've integrated
ipython into spyder, that's great!

I did want to mention, though, that I hope all the new work will make
collaboration with spyder much easier in the future.  You may have
seen posts about the 2 process model and the qt widgets; the ipython
I'm now pretty much always using is this widget:

http://fperez.org/tmp/ipqt_gui_inline.png

it can keep external interactive GUI plots from mpl, but with paste()
you can get those inlined in the console.  You can edit conveniently
multi-line input and the ? output is shown in a separate pane (lower
part of the window) so you can read docs/code while you type.

Since all of this is Qt, BSD-licensed and based on a well specified protocol:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/nightly/html/development/messaging.html

I hope it will be useful for spyder as well, and that it will be
possible for the two projects to mutually benefit from one another.