[IPython-User] ipcluster ssh and remote port forwarding

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Wed Sep 15 17:58:28 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia
<giovanni.luca.ciampaglia@usi.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to run 'ipcluster ssh' on a host A that is behind a
> firewall, which I normally access through a VPN gateway, and be able to
> launch engines on another host B. The problem is that on this other host
> B I don't have the previleges to setup a VPN tunnel, so I thought I
> could overcome this situation using the remote port forwarding feature
> of SSH.
>
> The idea is that from A I can run for example:
>  > ssh -NR 2200:A:22 B
> so that port 2200 on B is forwarded over the secure channel A->B back to
> port 22 on A (actually localhost). This way for example I can connect
> with SSH on a non standard port of B without having to setup the tunnel.
>
> How do I use the same trick, but with ipcluster ssh? That is, how do I
> tell to ipcluster which port the engines should connect to so that they
> can talk to the ipcontroller?

Assuming you are using IPython version 0.10, the ports are controlled
by these flags:

  --client-port CLIENT_PORT
                        the port the controller will listen on for client
                        connections
  --engine-port ENGINE_PORT
                        the port the controller will listen on for engine
                        connections

Cheers,

Brian

> --