[IPython-User] how to fix IPython prompt in emacs shell mode?

Andrew Wilson wilson.andrew.j@gmail....
Wed Sep 29 14:28:19 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:

> When, in emacs, I do
>
> M-x shell
> ipython
>
> everything seems to work, except that the prompt is
>
> ^[[0;32mIn [^[[1;32m1^[[0;32m]: ^[[0m
>
> How to get the normal ipython prompt, or close facsimile?

Try this:

(setq ansi-color-for-comint-mode t)

* from
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/rel-0.9.1/html/config/initial_config.html

Or is there a better way to run ipython interactively in an emacs buffer?

ipython.el is pretty good - it has the niceties of python-mode, but with
ipython as the py-shell interpreter (for example, C-c C-c in a python code
buffer executes that code in your ipython buffer).

I think ipython.el is distributed with ipython, but you can also grab a copy
at:  http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython.el