[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Aug 1 11:21:13 CDT 2011

On 1 August 2011 16:36, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> This was done on purpose in the qtconsole.  Really, %edit should
> *just* edit (not run) even in the terminal.  We have the %run magic
> for actually running code.  I thought we were going to chance %edit in
> the terminal to do this.

In the terminal, we assume that the editor blocks until the user exits it,
so it's simple to know when they've finished editing. That's less reliable
for GUI editors, although I think most do have flags that make them behave
that way.

%edit in the terminal is written with use cases in mind where you want to
change some code and rerun it straight away. Let's not rush into changing
that behaviour - practicality beats purity, after all.

List subscribers, please let us know how you use %edit. Are you happy with
it running edited code by default, or is that an annoyance?

Thanks,
Thomas