[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Aug 1 20:17:05 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Christoph Deil <deil.christoph@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 7:33 PM, MinRK wrote:
>
> To my taste, switching the
> default, and having `%edit -r foo` to also run the file would be
> preferable.
>
> -MinRK
>
> +1

Before we revert a long-standing default, I'd like to hear more feedback from users, because I personally know a number of people who do love the default behavior.  Since it's more common to speak up about things we don't like than those we do, there's a real risk that by responding to a few vocal requests for change, we may alienate a larger group who was happy with the current behavior.

I have no problem with changing defaults when the original choice was obviously wrong. But in cases where there's more of a gray area (or where we see evidence of personal preferences pointing both ways), we should simply stick with the existing choices (adding when possible more configurability).