[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

reckoner reckoner@gmail....
Tue Aug 2 13:40:10 CDT 2011

On 8/2/2011 11:34 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 2 August 2011 19:18, reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com
> <mailto:reckoner@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> We could put the code at the next prompt after editing, so you'd have to
> press enter to run it, and your history would look like this:
>
> 3: print "Hello wolrd"
> 4: %edit _i3
> 5: print "Hello world"
>
> But I think that would just be annoying, both for the people who do want
> it to run automatically, and for the people who don't.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

I think this is a great idea. The main reason that I'm interested in the
qtconsole is that you can save everything in the session as an HTML file
so  I can just pass out HTML file at the end of the class as notes. In
the face of invisible %edit's, the HTML is obviously less useful. I'm
willing to pay for an extra 'enter' if it helps me produce better
handouts. Perhaps this could be configurable for those who are not
interested in it?

Anyway, thanks for listening.