[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Aug 2 13:44:25 CDT 2011

On 2 August 2011 19:40, reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is a great idea. The main reason that I'm interested in the
> qtconsole is that you can save everything in the session as an HTML file so
>  I can just pass out HTML file at the end of the class as notes. In the face
> of invisible %edit's, the HTML is obviously less useful. I'm willing to pay
> for an extra 'enter' if it helps me produce better handouts. Perhaps this
> could be configurable for those who are not interested in it?

If you're using the Qt console anyway, then %loadpy and %recall should do
what you're looking for. Syntax highlighting, multiline editing, it's all
there. ;-) The only real need for %edit there is if the file's large enough
that you *don't* want it appearing inline.

Thomas