[IPython-User] Migrating old configuration files to 0.11

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Aug 2 17:09:45 CDT 2011

Thorsten Kampe (correctly, if frustratedly) points out on python-list that the
documentation on the new configuration mechanism is not helpful to people trying
to migrate their old configuration files to the new system, despite its promise
to do so.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-August/1277635.html

Most of the documentation isn't useful to IPython end-users, only users of
IPython as a library or IPython developers themselves, so most of the content
should be moved to the Developer's Guide.

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/overview.html

My response simply suggested starting with the generated ipython_config.py file
and editing it from there. Most of the simple options are almost exactly the
same except that their names are now "fully qualified". I have invited Thorsten
to post his configuration here so we can migrate it for him and hopefully get
some specific examples of where that simple process breaks down (e.g. some of
the fancier stuff done in ipy_user_conf.py files requires more translation) so
that we can document them.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-August/1277718.html

--
Robert Kern