[IPython-User] Logging in new IPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Aug 2 17:36:49 CDT 2011

On 2 August 2011 22:49, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still using an older IPython (v0.10) I plan to transition to the new
> version soon. Could anybody tell me if it's possible to fully log an Ipython
> session with proper timestamps? My current solution is still based on the
> approach posted here -> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook/Logging
>
> Does the new sql-based history provide this functionality or what's the
> recommended practice from the dev team for automatic session logging?

The new history effectively stores this information - there's a timestamp on
the start and end of your session, and every line is recorded in order. But
we've not yet written any way to access it except inside IPython itself. You
can use a tool like SQLite browser to inspect the database directly - the
structure isn't very complex.

The logging functionality is still there as well, although that recipe will
need updating a bit to work with 0.11. I think the neatest thing to do is to
put the code into a separate file and get the config to load it via
exec_lines. (There might be a better way to load the file as an extension -
I haven't looked into that bit of code).

Thanks,
Thomas

P.S. Our wiki is moving - see http://wiki.ipython.org/