[IPython-User] Getting the qtconsole to respect my readline settings

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Tue Aug 2 23:41:16 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 21:31, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah.  Well, in that case, is there any way to edit the "readline"
> settings.  I don't like how up arrow searches the history from the
> text that is entered rather than all history, and also I would like to
> make C-d exit the console.

This is not currently editable, but there are plans to do so:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/502

> Also, it bugged me about libedit the first time I used it, which
> certainly led me to believe it was using readline.

If it bugs you about libedit, it isn't using readline, it is using
BSD's editline :).

I suppose the InteractiveShell object in the kernel is still
initializing readline, which would cause the warning.  I'm not sure if
readline actually does anything in the backend, though.  The frontend
definitely does not use readline, especially not for keybindings.
Since it's a GUI widget, we have to write all the keybindings and
customization tools ourselves.

-MinRK