[IPython-User] Getting the qtconsole to respect my readline settings

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Aug 3 00:01:57 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 21:49, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 21:31, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ah.  Well, in that case, is there any way to edit the "readline"
>>> settings.  I don't like how up arrow searches the history from the
>>> text that is entered rather than all history, and also I would like to
>>> make C-d exit the console.
>>
>> This is not currently editable, but there are plans to do so:
>> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/502
>>

>>> Also, it bugged me about libedit the first time I used it, which
>>> certainly led me to believe it was using readline.
>>
>> If it bugs you about libedit, it isn't using readline, it is using
>> BSD's editline :).
>
> Yeah, but it told me to install readline :)
>
> It's obvious to me now that this isn't using readline, but it
> certainly caught me off guard, and no doubt would catch others off
> guard as well.

Not an unreasonable assumption.

Yes, we should check if readline is used, and skip the readline
initialization if it isn't.  It's also possible that the (many) things
that are crashy or badly behaved in libedit do not effect the subset
that we may use in the kernel, so the warning may be unnecessary
there.

-MinRK