[IPython-User] Installing IPython for Python3 on Win32

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Aug 3 08:08:41 CDT 2011

Hi Daniel,

On 3 August 2011 13:47, Daniel Griffith <daniel.dang.griffith@gmail.com>wrote:

> I downloaded the source (as well as the egg).
> setuptools is not (yet) available for Python 3.
> I'm on Windows XP and Windows 7, both 32-bit.
> Are there any recommendations for a manual
> installation?

Setuptools with Python 3 support is called distribute, and it should work
for installing IPython, although I haven't tested on Windows.

http://packages.python.org/distribute/

Pyreadline (which is necessary on Windows) may be a problem, I don't think
it supports Python 3 yet. A quick search turns up this branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~shimizukawa/pyreadline/python3 , which
apparently allows it to be installed using 2to3.

Good luck!

Thomas