[IPython-User] Logging in new IPython

Min RK benjaminrk@gmail....
Thu Aug 4 11:59:47 CDT 2011

On Aug 4, 2011, at 4:56, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 August 2011 05:03, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally, I get the new Ipython running. qtconsole is up too. I
> installed v0.11 The very first thing I have noticed is there is not
> .ipython folder under my home directory.
>
> It might be in  .config/ipython instead.
>
> I should add that I don't think this situation is ideal - the ipython folder can be in two separate places, and I would have to look at the code to remember precisely when it uses which. For 0.12, I think we should decide on one location and stick with it.

IPython 0.11 respects the XDG spec (.config etc.). It will only use ~/.ipython if it already exists (existing users), or on platforms where XDG is not in use (generally OSX and Windows, but also when the XDG config dir doesn't exist).

So we have picked XDG, but that's obviously not something we should pick everywhere.  The only available change I see is to force the move from ~/.ipython to XDG on Linux unless users set IPYTHON_DIR=~/.ipython, but that doesn't sound good to me.