[IPython-User] Logging in new IPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Aug 4 13:03:51 CDT 2011

On 4 August 2011 17:59, Min RK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:

> IPython 0.11 respects the XDG spec (.config etc.). It will only use
> ~/.ipython if it already exists (existing users), or on platforms where XDG
> is not in use (generally OSX and Windows, but also when the XDG config dir
> doesn't exist).
>
> So we have picked XDG, but that's obviously not something we should pick
> everywhere.  The only available change I see is to force the move from
> ~/.ipython to XDG on Linux unless users set IPYTHON_DIR=~/.ipython, but that
> doesn't sound good to me.

Except, technically, we don't adhere to the XDG spec, because we put
everything in .config, while data stored from the program should technically
be in .local.

My suggestion is just to return to ignoring the XDG spec, and stick with
.ipython. That way, it's in the same place for all users. A quick look at my
home directory shows we're not exactly bucking the trend - firefox,
libreoffice, pip, bzr, etc. have hidden folders that don't follow XDG. I
think having two different possibilities is an extra hurdle for users
wanting to configure it, and it feels like we've done it for no better
reason than that the spec exists.

Thomas