[IPython-User] Logging in new IPython

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Thu Aug 4 13:36:24 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:03, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 August 2011 17:59, Min RK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> IPython 0.11 respects the XDG spec (.config etc.). It will only use
>> ~/.ipython if it already exists (existing users), or on platforms where XDG
>> is not in use (generally OSX and Windows, but also when the XDG config dir
>> doesn't exist).
>>
>> So we have picked XDG, but that's obviously not something we should pick
>> everywhere.  The only available change I see is to force the move from
>> ~/.ipython to XDG on Linux unless users set IPYTHON_DIR=~/.ipython, but that
>> doesn't sound good to me.
>>

> Except, technically, we don't adhere to the XDG spec, because we put
> everything in .config, while data stored from the program should technically
> be in .local.
>
> My suggestion is just to return to ignoring the XDG spec, and stick with
> .ipython. That way, it's in the same place for all users. A quick look at my
> home directory shows we're not exactly bucking the trend - firefox,
> libreoffice, pip, bzr, etc. have hidden folders that don't follow XDG. I
> think having two different possibilities is an extra hurdle for users
> wanting to configure it, and it feels like we've done it for no better
> reason than that the spec exists.

Well, we did it because a significant number of users asked us to, and it
just makes sense to follow established standards.  Just because many other
apps haven't caught up to standards doesn't mean we shouldn't.  I agree that
it's an unfortunate hurdle during the transition, but moving forward
~/.config/ipython will be the standard on Linux, and only users who have
been using IPython for a long time or have explicitly chosen the old
location will still be using it.

Perhaps in 0.12 we should print a deprecation message for ~/.ipython, and
some time later enforce the move to XDG unless IPYTHON_DIR is set.

Also note that the first step for configuring IPython is always `ipython
profile create[ foo]`, which tells you exactly where the files you want to
edit were just created.  We can amend this to always print the locations,
even when not generating the files anew.

-MinRK