[IPython-User] Putting a kernel inside a GUI (WX or Qt) application so you can run external Qt consoles against it.

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 5 15:07:27 CDT 2011

Hi Piotr,

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Piotr Zolnierczuk
<piotr.zolnierczuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is really great! Now I have really no excuse to run embedded 0.9.1
> anymore :)

Glad it's useful. And while it means that users of WX apps will still
need Qt for the console, I hope the many benefits of the Qt console
will make it a price worth paying.  And for 0.12, we should have in
place a terminal-based client to talk to a remote kernel.

> I have a one followup question: how to pass my namespace to the kernel - the
> examples seem to do the opposite.

The simplest solution is to assign your ns to the kernel at startup,
though we'll try to make that easier in the future...  You should
update your NS with the kernel NS contents so that some internal
things put in there by IPython are found and everything works OK:

your_ns.update(kernel.shell.user_ns)
kernel.shell.user_ns = your_ns