[IPython-User] hsplit or vsplit?

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Fri Aug 5 20:25:33 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 16:57, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds like no matter which we choose we will confuse 50% of our
> users.  I am not sure there is any way around this confusion, unless
> we can come up with some clever naming that completely removes the
> ambiguity.  My feeling is that we should stick with our choice though,
> not because it is better, but because it is.

Probably the best we can do is make the helpstring a bit more clear.  The
hsplit blob refers to top and bottom, but is ambiguous until the end.  The
vsplit help blob just says that it's the same as above, but vertical.

Making it clearer that vsplit means 'side by side', and hsplit means 'top
and bottom' would help.  Alternate names could be 'right' and 'below', which
are unambiguous.