[IPython-User] Specifying prompt for qtconsole at command line

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Aug 5 20:50:05 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Arlindo,
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Arlindo da Silva <dasilva@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   Which property should I set at the qtconsole command line for redefining
>> my prompt? That is, what is the equivalent of
>> % ipython TerminalInteractiveShell.prompt_in1='xxx> '
>> On Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) with EPD 7.1-1, this produces no effect:
>> % ipython-qtconsole ZMQInteractiveShell.prompt_in1='xxx> '
>> while
>> % ipython-qtconsole IPythonWidget.in_prompt='xxxx> '
>> crashes the qtconsole.
>
> No, unfortunately the Qt console right now has no support for prompt
> configuration, they are hardcoded.  We ran out of time for
> implementing prompt declaration in the messaging protocol, so it's
> still in the todo list, sorry about that.

Because different frontends connected to the same kernel might want
different prompts, the exact prompt format should not be configured in
the kernel or passed over the messaging protocol.  But, there might be
data from the kernel's namespace that a particular frontend need to
use in building the prompt.  That data can and should be sent in the
execute reply and the message spec already has the needed capabilities
for that.  The other good things about this approach is that the
execute reply is only sent to the frontend that made the request, so
all of the information required for a particular frontends prompt
remains private to that FE.

Cheers,

Brian

> Cheers,