[IPython-User] Specifying prompt for qtconsole at command line

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 5 21:02:58 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Min RK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not true, it's c.IPythonWidget.in_prompt

Cool, so *some* customization did make it in, that's great.  It's
worth noting to the OP, however, that the fully prompt specification
syntax that exists in the terminal is still NOT available in the Qt
console, and that's what I was thinking about when I replied.  The Qt
console won't interpet things like \H that we turn into a full
Hostname, for example...

We had long discussions about the issues that Brian just alluded to,
and we never quite finished the details of how we wanted the messaging
to work out in order to accommodate arbitrary prompts that could
contain computed data from the kernel, like our current syntax allows
in the terminal.  But I didn't realize that at least the prompt string
and number could be controlled by the user, which is great.

The more complex system does remain a todo item, but perhaps what's
available now will be enough for the OP.