[IPython-User] Specifying prompt for qtconsole at command line

Arlindo da Silva dasilva@alum.mit....
Sat Aug 6 09:51:09 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Min RK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2011, at 18:42, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Arlindo,
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Arlindo da Silva <dasilva@alum.mit.edu>
> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>   Which property should I set at the qtconsole command line for
> redefining
> >> my prompt? That is, what is the equivalent of
> >> % ipython TerminalInteractiveShell.prompt_in1='xxx> '
> >> On Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) with EPD 7.1-1, this produces no effect:
> >> % ipython-qtconsole ZMQInteractiveShell.prompt_in1='xxx> '
> >> while
> >> % ipython-qtconsole IPythonWidget.in_prompt='xxxx> '
> >> crashes the qtconsole.
> >
> > No, unfortunately the Qt console right now has no support for prompt
> > configuration, they are hardcoded.  We ran out of time for
> > implementing prompt declaration in the messaging protocol, so it's
> > still in the todo list, sorry about that.
>
> Not true, it's c.IPythonWidget.in_prompt
>
> Look in ipython_qtconsole_config.py  generated by `ipython profile create`
> for the options available.
>
> The same information can be seen with `ipython qtconsole --help-all`.

Yes,  I am able to redefine the prompt by
editing ipython_qtconsole_config.py as you suggest. I was hopping I could do
that from the command with something like:

% ipython-qtconsole IPythonWidget.in_prompt='xxx> '

but this produces no effect. (I am writing a command line wrapper that I was
hoping would not require any dedicated config.)

  Thanks,

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva