[IPython-User] connecting to remote kernel in 0.11

neil rabinowitz neil.rabinowitz@merton.ox.ac...
Sat Aug 6 11:55:09 CDT 2011

I'm still trying to figure out this local vs remote kernel story. Aside from
my ssh question below, can someone offer an explanation/example of how i set
up and connect to a remote kernel (on linux), even if unsecured? The most I
can find is from the ipython_qtconsole_config.py file:

# Set the kernel's IP address [default localhost]. If the IP address
is
# something other than localhost, then Consoles on other machines will be
able
# to connect to the Kernel, so be
careful!
# c.IPythonQtConsoleApp.ip = '127.0.0.1'

If I try to specify my network-facing interface IP with a flag, e.g.:
ipython qtconsole --ip=192.168.X.X

then it fails, printing a stack and the following:

RuntimeError: Can only launch a kernel on a local interface. Make sure that
the '*_address' attributes are configured properly. Currently valid
addresses are: ['127.0.0.1', '127.0.1.1', '0.0.0.0', '']

Following the documentation that 0.0.0.0 opens up the kernel to all
interfaces, I try launching ipython with the ip tag set to 0.0.0.0, which
does indeed launch a console. However, I can't then seem to connect to this
instance anyway I try. The usual method (launching a new instance with the
"--existing ..." flags) brings up a qtconsole, displaying the usual headers,
but no prompt ever appears. The same is true if I append the extra flags to
the second qtconsole of --ip=0.0.0.0 or --ip=192.168.1.2 and so on -- just a
promptless console.

Is there a simple syntactical trick I'm missing, or is my use case is not
what this system is designed for?

Thanks
Neil