[IPython-User] vim-ipython: misuse of waitforbuttonpress leaves kernel unresponsive

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Sat Aug 6 17:45:51 CDT 2011

Jorge Scandaliaris, on 2011-08-06 18:35,  wrote:
> I run a file through vim-ipython that uses
> plt.waitforbuttonpress(timeout=0) for showing some matplotlib plots. A
> couple of figures appear, and uppon pressing some key the get updated.
> Accidentally (actually, I used to do this all the time, without any side
> effects, when I wanted to stop for some reason without showing all the
> updates) I just closed the figures and after that I could not interact
> anymore with the ipython kernel, not from vim nor the qtconsole.
> I guess the kernel is left waiting (infinitely) for my key press without
> noticing I just killed the figures. Is there any way, other than
> allowing the script to end by itself, to stop a script running in the
> kernel?

Hi Jorge,

Sounds like you ran into an IPython bug - where stdin is
scheduled around to the different kernel managers instead of
being accepted from any of them:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/673

The workaround for the time being is to have vim IPython send
stdin message. In vim, do something like

:py km.stdin_channel.input(' ')

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: