[IPython-User] Custom magic debugger function

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Aug 9 14:31:45 CDT 2011

On 8/7/11 7:42 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 5:46 AM, Thomas Kluyver<takowl@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 7 August 2011 09:04, Aaron Meurer<asmeurer@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to create custom magic expressions?  I'd like to create
>>> a %pudb magic, which acts like %pdb except it calls PuDB on failure
>>> instead of pdb.
>>
>> It's certainly possible to create custom magic expressions. For handling
>> exceptions, I think that interactiveshell.set_custom_exc should do what you
>> want.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> Sorry, but how do I create custom magic? I didn't see anything in the
> documentation, though I may have missed it.

You need to write an extension. The included parallelmagic extension shows one
way, using a Plugin:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/extensions/parallelmagic.py

This is useful when you need to keep track of state as attributes on the Plugin
object.

My kernmagic package shows another way to expose individual magic functions that
do not have state:

   https://bitbucket.org/robertkern/kernmagic/src/tip/kernmagic/__init__.py

--
Robert Kern