[IPython-User] Errors in ipython 0.11 using python 3.2.1

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Aug 11 10:24:16 CDT 2011

On 11 August 2011 16:03, Maarten Derickx <m.derickx.student@gmail.com>wrote:

> The scripts directory there was empty. So what I did to start ipython
> was adding these two lines to .pystartup.py
>  import IPython
>  IPython.embed()
> and start regular python.

Ah, that would be it. Embedding sets up the namespaces somewhat differently
to starting IPython normally. Hopefully we can improve that in future
versions.

The normal entry point is:
IPython.frontend.terminal.ipapp.launch_new_instance()

> Maybe it would be good to have a README.txt or an INSTALL.txt in the
> toplevel of the source code version of ipython which sais where
> everything is located after installation.

The locations are all very platform dependent, and they're picked
automatically by setuptools/distutils. It follows the standard Unix-y model
of library files and executable files going in separate locations. The
executable files should end up on your PATH, so it shouldn't matter where
they are.

Possibly we should make it clearer that the Python 3 version is started with
"ipython3" at the command line.

Thanks,
Thomas