[IPython-User] Errors in ipython 0.11 using python 3.2.1

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Aug 12 08:47:49 CDT 2011

On 12 August 2011 14:27, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> How does this work on Linux?  I'm sure that if possible, Python 3
> would not automatically add itself to the front Python 2 in your PATH
> there either, as it's not quite ready to become the default over
> Python 2.  Or perhaps it's assumed that if you install from source
> rather than using a package manager on the platform that you know what
> you're doing.

Python 3 itself is called python3 (at least, it is on Ubuntu - I think most
distros do the same). There are no script directories specifically for
Python packages. Manually installed executables (like ipython3) go into
"/usr/local/bin", while executables installed from distro packages are in
/usr/bin. The manually installed ones take precedence over those from
packages, so I guess they are saying "you know what you're doing".

Thomas