[IPython-User] Errors in ipython 0.11 using python 3.2.1

Maarten Derickx m.derickx.student@gmail....
Fri Aug 12 10:22:37 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> How does this work on Linux?  I'm sure that if possible, Python 3
> would not automatically add itself to the front Python 2 in your PATH
> there either, as it's not quite ready to become the default over
> Python 2.  Or perhaps it's assumed that if you install from source
> rather than using a package manager on the platform that you know what
> you're doing.
>
> Anyway, make sure you add
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/bin to your PATH
> *after* /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin, or else
> suddenly Python 3 will become your default Python (which you almost
> certainly don't want at this point).

Just to be precise so you know how things look like on mac.

Nothing of the form
 /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/*/bin
was in my path. Not even after manually installing python 3.2.

The python versions that came by default with my OS X 10.6 are 2.5 and 2.6
the executables belonging to those live in

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/
and
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/

respectively.
The reason that they are in my path is because there are symlinks to
those places in /usr/bin
for example:
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel          75 Sep  5  2009 python2.5 ->
../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python2.5

Next to this there is also a binary /usr/bin/python which starts the
same python as /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6

Now by default installing python 3.2 will make symlinks in
/usr/local/bin to the place where the non system python files get
installed
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/bin/

And an easy_install ipython using the easy_install belonging to
python2.6 will install an ipython file in /usr/local/bin

Now doing:

python3.2 setup.py install

in the downloaded source directory to install ipython will not create
a file in /usr/local/bin.

I guess that as soon as it becomes possible to easy_install ipython
for python3 then it will all become easier because then easy_install
will put the executables like ipython3 and ipcluster3 etc in
/urs/local/bin. Because that is what happens now on OS X as shown
below:

md:~ maarten$ sudo easy_install ipython
Searching for ipython
Best match: ipython 0.11
Processing ipython-0.11-py2.6.egg
Adding ipython 0.11 to easy-install.pth file
Installing ipcontroller script to /usr/local/bin
Installing iptest script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipcluster script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipython script to /usr/local/bin
Installing pycolor script to /usr/local/bin
Installing iplogger script to /usr/local/bin
Installing irunner script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipengine script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipython-qtconsole script to /usr/local/bin

Using /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.11-py2.6.egg
Processing dependencies for ipython
Finished processing dependencies for ipython