[IPython-User] ipython 0.11 crashes when file list is large

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 12 18:03:33 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I try to do 'cd <tab>' in my home directory in the qtconsole, ipython
>> crashes with the attached report. However it works when I enable
>> --gui-completion.
>>
>> Is this a possible bug?
>
> It definitely sounds like a bug, but I can't seem to reproduce it. I
> created a directory with 10000 subdirs and did cd <tab> in it, and it
> still works fine.  Do you have a reliable way of causing the crash we
> could use to produce it and understand what's going on?

In particular, from reading the crash traceback carefully, the problem
may not be with too many subdirs, but with some specific number of
them that could be triggering an error in the logic for computing the
number of columns to display...  Could you give us a listing of the
subdirs you had when trying to 'cd'?  Since this is your home dir, you
can obfuscate the names by replacing each subdirectory name with a
random string of the same length.  What we need is a list of how many
subdirs you have, along with the length of each, to see if we can
trigger the problem.