[IPython-User] ipython 0.11 crashes when file list is large

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian@googlemail....
Fri Aug 12 18:12:12 CDT 2011

On 08/13/2011 12:57 AM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi Mani,
>
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Mani Chandra <mc0710@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I try to do 'cd <tab>' in my home directory in the qtconsole, ipython
>> crashes with the attached report. However it works when I enable
>> --gui-completion.
>>
>> Is this a possible bug?
>
> It definitely sounds like a bug, but I can't seem to reproduce it. I
> created a directory with 10000 subdirs and did cd <tab> in it, and it
> still works fine.  Do you have a reliable way of causing the crash we
> could use to produce it and understand what's going on?
>
> Cheers,

I can reproduce the crash by taking the list of files in the dump and
creating empty files with the same names.

attached a script which does this. It will create lots of empty files in
the current working directory. open qtconsole in that directory and do
cd <tab>