[IPython-User] Putting a kernel inside a GUI (WX or Qt) application so you can run external Qt consoles against it.

Pierre Raybaut pierre.raybaut@gmail....
Sat Aug 13 10:54:22 CDT 2011

Hi Fernando,

2011/8/11 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> Glad to hear it's working now.  Needless to say, we'd love to see
> better integration with spyder, so please don't hesitate to ping us
> about things you may need.  In particular, I can easily imagine that
> spyder could require extensions to our messaging protocol that we
> haven't yet considered.  If you are going to be at Euroscipy at the
> end of the month, that would be a perfect time to chat about
> ipython/spyder integration.  For reference, here's the info on who
> will be available when: http://wiki.ipython.org/EuroSciPy2011
>
> Cheers,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend EuroSciPy 2011, at least
officially (on behalf of my employer).

Anyway, I've already coded one or two things and here is a preview:
http://spyder-ide.blogspot.com/2011/08/preview-of-new-ipython-plugin-for.html

For now, this is based on Spyder's machinery (with three communication
sockets: monitor, introspection, notification), hence the immediate
support for the Variable Explorer. Of course the cleanest solution
would be to use directly the IPython kernel messaging protocol as you
implied (but it will indeed require extensions: for example, the
Spyder's messaging protocol sends/receives pickled data which is
necessary for the Variable Explorer editors).

Cheers,
Pierre