[IPython-User] [SciPy-User] IPython inline plots of stacked bars graphs

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Aug 21 15:42:24 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is indeed an IPython issue.
> This is a result of the fact that the inline backend flushes the active
> figures at each prompt, to prevent drawing all active figures over and over
> until you close them.

I should add that this was also not an accident, but something we
spent a lot of time on. The main issue was that we wanted, in inline
mode, to still have

plot(x, y)

*immediately* produce a figure on the console, without the need for
further manual calls like show().  If we want that, then we are forced
to force a drawing operation, and if we don't force a flush/close of
drawn figures, they'd keep popping back in subsequent calls.

Having said that, we can fine-tune things a little, making it at least
configurable (even at runtime via a control magic) whether the
flush/close happens or not.  I still think the current behavior should
be the default, but if people think it would be useful to have the
option of not closing drawn figures, by all means open up an issue for
it on the tracker and we can implement it (the work isn't particularly
difficult).